I've been searching my soul for a long time for the perfect blog idea. I have started and stopped numerous other blogs, but none of them really had a concept that worked for me all the time. In writing about YS's peanut allergy, there were occasional things to say, but in a regular day, it's not really addressed. In writing about funny things that YS says, poor AM was left out of the loop due to his limited vocabulary (right now his favorite words are "Abba," "cheese," and "ball" - there's not a lot to write about!). I decided to scrap those blogs and start this one, which will be about my favorite things.
At first I thought I would name it My Favorite Things, which would be especially fitting due to my long-lasting love affair with "The Sound of Music." Sadly, that name was taken, so I was back to the drawing board before I had really started. Then I realized that some of my initial ideas (funny things YS says, cute things AM does, desserts I love, funny things that happen at work, etc. etc.) are not only my favorite things. They're more than that. They are blessings. I thought about naming the blog Counting Blessings, but it didn't make me feel totally settled.
Then I remembered one of my favorite lessons in Pirkei Avos (Ethics of our Fathers). In 4:1, Ben Zoma asks and answers a very important question: Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has. Sometimes, when D and I are surfing the real estate sites for the perfect mansion we'll never afford, I'll remind him of this saying. While I can always dream for a house with perfectly painted walls, a car with better gas mileage, or a kitchen full of food that cooks itself, it's not so helpful. I should be - and I am - happy with what I have. I'm rich!
This blog with be the venue for me to share some of the things that make me so rich. This includes YS's witty revelations, AW's newest utterances, delicious meals I cook for D, funny interactions with my amazingly crazy co-workers, cool things I learn, fun places we go, interesting things I read, and my latest favorite things.
I've tried several blogs before this one. I hope it sticks! Feel free to leave feedback and comments.
How exciting is this! And look at you, shouting out to Greyston!
ReplyDelete