In Pirkei Avos 4:1 (Ethics of our Fathers) we learn Eizehu ashir hasameach b'chelko - Who is wealthy? One who is happy with his lot. I have been blessed with 30 years of a pretty good lot! In trying to decide what to name this blog, which will be a chronicle of things that make me happy, I landed on Sameach b'chelko for this very reason!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tree-cicle

I hate winter. I do. I hate it. I hate being cold and having a drippy nose and wearing boots every day and trying to get the boys loaded into their carseats with a big puffy coat on and not being able to get where I need to be because of snow and school cancellations and late babysitters and having to move the car away from the curb before D and YS can get in the passenger side because suddenly the curb is a foot away where it should be because of a snow drift and $500 heating bills and chapped lips and freezing cold offices and being scared to walk outside because of ice and being scared to drive because of ice and using more gas than necessary using 4-wheel drive and being stressed out from the weather and always feeling bulky and shoveling snow and having to stock up on rock salt and...well...you get the drift.

BUT...

The other day when I was leaving work I saw the coolest winter phenomenon. A little drip of water from the roof of our building was falling onto a tiny tree below, and it turned the tree into a tree-cicle. A tree-cicle is of course the scientific term for a tree that has turned into an icicle. This tree-cicle gave me one small reason not to hate winter.


1 comment: