In Pirkei Avos 4:1 (Ethics of our Fathers) we learn Eizehu ashir hasameach b'chelko - Who is wealthy? One who is happy with his lot. I have been blessed with 30 years of a pretty good lot! In trying to decide what to name this blog, which will be a chronicle of things that make me happy, I landed on Sameach b'chelko for this very reason!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My New Hobby


On my last night in Miami, I stumbled upon an "Extreme Couponing" marathon on TLC.

If you know me, you know that I love tv shows like this one. If you know D, you know that he would rather be stabbed in the eye than watch reality tv.

So we struck a deal. He promised to watch a few episodes if I promised to become an extreme couponer and save our family thousands of dollars in grocery savings each year.

Who am I to pass up a deal like that?!

So there I was, Sunday morning, at the Miami airport before 6am, hurrying to the newsstand to pick up a paper and start couponing. Between Sunday and Monday nights, I spent approximately 8 hours clipping and logging 300+ coupons. I've reached out to friends and family to send me their unwanted coupons. I've enrolled in online savings programs. I've had several coupon anxiety dreams. Bet you didn't know you could have an anxiety dream about coupons!

I think D has created a monster.

I see this new hobby going in two possible directions:

1. I get bored of it in two weeks or less, fail to use any/many of the coupons in a timely manner, and find them expired in my drawer in six months.

2. I grab onto this new "hobby" with two hands and become obsessed. I refuse to quit - just like I refused to stop being a vegetarian - because after all: a promise is a promise, and I can be as stubborn as the best of them. I save our family money, but probably not thousands, and at the same time devote copious amounts of time and energy couponing.

What's your vote?

2 comments:

  1. Just remember that they spend money on things they don't want and don't have room for just because they have coupons. That's silly.
    And they spend hours and hours a day on this. Some of the people spend 40+ hours a week. Don't you think they could make more in a 40-hour a week job than they save with coupons? Food for thought.
    Please don't end up on a TLC reality show. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A reality tv show is definitely not in my future. And, since I already have a 40-hour a week job, I will definitely not be devoting that much time. It's more like I'm being productive while also sitting around watching tv.

    The people who stock up on cat food and have no cat are ridiculous! I didn't cut any coupons for stuff I wouldn't want anyway.

    ReplyDelete