In Pirkei Avos 4:1 (Ethics of our Fathers) we learn Eizehu ashir hasameach b'chelko - Who is wealthy? One who is happy with his lot. I have been blessed with 30 years of a pretty good lot! In trying to decide what to name this blog, which will be a chronicle of things that make me happy, I landed on Sameach b'chelko for this very reason!

Monday, June 6, 2011

So far so good!

The nay-sayers can say nay, but my new life as a couponer is AWESOME! Yes, it takes time. Yes, it takes preparation. But, in just two shopping trips (one to A&P, one to Harmon Beauty Supplies), I have already saved $88.68!

You may say nay. I say, "$88.68 IS A LOT OF MONEY!"

The whole experience was truly invigorating. First of all, we all know I love a good project (remember when I was going to teach myself ballet from the Encyclopedia?). This project is full of math and spreadsheets and binders and organization...basically all of the things I love the best. Second, when I got to A&P yesterday, a woman actually came up to me and asked, "Are you a coupon lady?" I was schepping nachas. Third, as I stood at the register, I got to feel fear and trepidation. What would happen? Would the dollars come off like I had anticipated? Would I accidentally overspend? Fourth, without snorting coke or shooting up heroin, I got to experience a great, natural high when the final total showed up on the screen. SUCCESS!

I did not buy stupid stuff we don't need or want. I bought cereal and salad dressing and ice cream. We all know how much I love ice cream! My children are not sleeping on top of piles of cat food (we have no cat). My clothing is not being put into storage to make space for contact lens solution (we don't wear glasses).

I have yet to leave the store with $900 worth of groceries that cost me $0.01, but I did save $88.68, and that's not too shabby!


A final plus: as I was looking over my receipt last night and cutting new coupons, YS was asking me questions, and I was able to give him a good lesson about saving money and being cost-conscious. It was a teachable moment!

I love my new hobby. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment