In Pirkei Avos 4:1 (Ethics of our Fathers) we learn Eizehu ashir hasameach b'chelko - Who is wealthy? One who is happy with his lot. I have been blessed with 30 years of a pretty good lot! In trying to decide what to name this blog, which will be a chronicle of things that make me happy, I landed on Sameach b'chelko for this very reason!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Vinyl Blues

Pesach this year was absolutely lovely. I managed to keep my pre-Pesach mental anguish at bay, D was incredibly helpful by taking the kids off my hands on cleaning and cooking days, the boys were on their best behavior, we shared some meals with wonderful families in our community, and we had our own Seder for the first time! My Pesach stash of cooking gear grows little-by-little each year, and when we decided to have a Seder, I decided it was time to add some plates, bowls, and a tablecloth to my collection. What a great excuse to spend time browsing the shelves of Bed, Bath, and Beyond! You might be surprised (I was) at how difficult picking out a tablecloth is. I'd say it's safe to say I spent at least 20 minutes picking up one option, putting it down, picking it back up again, etc. etc. etc. I ultimately decided on a vinyl tablecloth with a pretty pattern on it, since I figured being able to easily wipe off matza crumbs and wine droplets would be really helpful during the holiday, sine I didn't want to have to take it on and off repeatedly to clean it.

The table looked great!

Until...

On the first day of Pesach, I forgot that the tablecloth was vinyl and set a hot serving dish on it. Imagine my surprise when I tried to clean up from lunch and discovered that the dish had become one with the tablecloth! Since it was yom tov, I couldn't rip the dish off, so we just left it there and ate around it for the rest of the holiday, including Seder!



2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, but that's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. At least it was a neutral-looking glass dish!

    ReplyDelete