In Pirkei Avos 4:1 (Ethics of our Fathers) we learn Eizehu ashir hasameach b'chelko - Who is wealthy? One who is happy with his lot. I have been blessed with 30 years of a pretty good lot! In trying to decide what to name this blog, which will be a chronicle of things that make me happy, I landed on Sameach b'chelko for this very reason!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I scream, you scream!

I love food. A lot. I think it's safe to say that I spend a good part of my day thinking about food - excitedly mentally preparing for my next meal or snack. As far as food relationships go, though, I'd say I have a fairly healthy one. I try to eat a relatively well-balanced diet, and I'm not obsessed with counting calories or "food rules" or weird cleansing elixirs that come in little glass bottles (eww). I have a lot of favorite foods; here's my top ten list:


1. ICE CREAM!!! It's never too cold or too hot or too early in the day for a huge dish of ice cream. Breyer's makes the best chocolate, Baskin Robbins in my local kosher go-to spot, and Ben & Jerry's is Greyston's biggest costumer. Peanut butter and chocolate, jamocha almond fudge, mint chocolate chip, soft serve vanilla with caramel topping....mmmm....bring it on!

2. FRENCH FRIES. Golden, crispy, fried potato goodness. The local pizza place (more about that in a minute)has the best fries. They look likes the ones to the right. I eat too many, and I love every second of it. I used to think that ketchup ruined fries by covering up the delicious taste, but I have recently decided that it actually enhances the flavor.

3. PIZZA. I once stated that you could melt cheese on a shoe and it would taste delicious. Well, melting cheese on dough shmeared with tomato sauce and baked to bubbly goodness is even better. I remember with sadness those years of lactose intolerance when I missed out on pizza. B"H that passed!

4. EDAMA
ME: I have recently started incorporating edamame into many of my dishes. Yummy! Healthy!

5. GUM
MY CANDY: I love gummy candy. Probably the only reason I don't eat it all day long is that it's so hard to find kosher gummies, outside of strictly kosher markets. When I was pregnant with YS, D went to the store and filled up a huge bag with gummies, and I happily carried it around wherever I went. What a good husband.

6. PAD THAI FROM GAN ASIA: Once of the reasons I sometimes really miss living in Manhattan!

7. INSTANT MASHED POTATOES: You're probably saying "gross!" Why would she specifically love instant mashed potatoes? Aren't real ones better? No. They're not. Instant mashed potatoes are creamy and delicious and easy and quick.


8. POMEGRANATE CHOBANI GREEK YOGURT: See my blog from the other day regarding this amazing food.

9. BRISKET EGG ROLLS FROM ABIGAIL'S: Smoky, crispy, meaty deliciousness. These eggrolls are reason enough to eat at Abigail's, but in reality everything on the menu is unbelievable. I once ordered
a mojito and they offered to bring it to me in a flower vase. Really? Thanks, but I don't need that much mojito. Would I like a flower vase filled with brisket egg rolls? Yes please!

10. REESE'S PEANUT BUTTER CUPS: Peanut butter + chocolate = heaven. Duh.So there you have it. Some of my favorite foods. There are more, and they do include broccoli and cauliflower and grapefruits, so don't think that my entire diet is filled with gummies and instant mashed potatoes. I'm sure I'll write more about my favorite foods soon. After all, someone has to give a proper shout-out to those yummy pierogies I eat several times a week!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm...cleansing elixirs.

    What about Utz cheddar chips? And Entenmann's Raspberry danish?

    PS: Miller's string cheese called. They want you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I actually thought about both the chips and the danish after posting and felt bad about leaving them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is making me hungry... I agree on pretty much every count. Except I don't like the Pomegranate flavor of Chobani b/c the pieces of pom have seeds in them and get in the way. But I love every other flavor. And now I need Gan Asia this week. Edamame is such a great snack. I remember now how much you like gummy candy too!

    ReplyDelete