It's been a hard week for the world. Horrific catastrophes in Japan with trickle-down effects to the rest of the world (the US stock market had an awful week; rebuilding Haiti will quickly fall off the radar; past tsunami victims are feeling PTSD; etc.). Devastating tragedy in Israel. Missing Americans in Libya. The list goes on. Figuring out the balance between: 1. being conscientious and caring, yet paralyzed by grief vs. 2. remaining numb and ignorant but going about my life as normal has kept my brain busy and my heart heavy. It's hard to get ready for Purim when the world is in so much pain.
YET...
Amidst all of this, I have managed to find some moments of happiness and optimism. These are the moments I hold onto as I watch the news with tears in my eyes.
A couple of days ago, my boys and I discovered the first signs of spring in our backyard. As I've mentioned before, I hate winter. I give thanks to Hashem that spring is on its way. It can't come a moment too soon. The grass and dry leaves still abound, but in the middle little blossoms are finding their way up through the ground.
My co-worker and gardening guru tells me that these little flowers are resilient and will continue to thrive, even if an occasional frost chills them in the night.
May this new growth be a sign that better days are coming. May we all be blessed with a Freilichen Purim, a happy spring, a peaceful world, and a safe tomorrow.


It's hard to balance it all - the big grief with the little (yet huge) blessings.
ReplyDelete(and btw, you are my very own crocus)