In Pirkei Avos 4:1 (Ethics of our Fathers) we learn Eizehu ashir hasameach b'chelko - Who is wealthy? One who is happy with his lot. I have been blessed with 30 years of a pretty good lot! In trying to decide what to name this blog, which will be a chronicle of things that make me happy, I landed on Sameach b'chelko for this very reason!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A toe-rrific excuse

In the history of children, I'm sure there have been thousands of creative "I don't want to go to bed" stalling tactics.

"I need water."
"I need another story."
"I'm too hot."
"I'm too cold."

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Tonight, about 45 minutes after putting YS to bed, I was sitting on my bed happily watching a "Friends" rerun, when I thought I heard some stirring outside my door. At first I thought it might be YS getting a book from his bookshelf to look at in bed, but then I realized the sound I heard was unfamiliar. I opened my bedroom door and found him lying on the floor in his doorway. He seemed to be examining his feet in the light of the hallway.

Me: "YS, what are you doing?"
YS: (On the verge of tears) "I was just noticing that the nails on my feet are really long and a little bit dirty."

As I picked him up and carried him back to bed, I suggested to him that we cut his nails tomorrow afternoon. No dice. Tomorrow morning? Absolutely not. We were skating on the edge of a major tantrum, so I gave in. I found the nail clippers and cut his toenails...in the dark. He looked at me, happy and relieved, said thank you, and nestled into bed.

I'm thinking about nominating him for the most creative bedtime stalling tactic of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment